A Brief Guide to the Highland Council Flexible Home Insurance Scheme

In the UK, tenants are not responsible for buildings insurance. Instead, there is a specific type of buildings insurance cover for all properties that tenants rent. This type of insurance covers damage to the property in the event of a natural disaster such as a flood, storm, lightning, fire, earthquake or subsidence. The Highland Council, while it insurers the property, does not insure the personal belongings or possessions within the home against vandalism, fire, theft or other household risks.

Under certain schemes, it has become easier than ever for you to protect your possessions against loss or damage. You can arrange this special type of insurance for a relatively low rate, depending on how much you want to cover. If you live in the Highlands of Scotland for instance you are able to pay this policy along with your monthly rent, and the scheme is open to all of the Highland Councilís tenants. Additionally, tenants over 60 years of age may receive reduced rates in receipt of their state retirement pensions. You may apply for insurance by filling out a proposal form. The absolute minimum amount that can be insured for tenants is £9,000 and £6,000 for tenants over the age of 60 who are currently receiving retirement benefits. The absolute maximum amount that you can insure is £35,000.

Click here to compare home insurance quotes!

Once you are formally accepted to a scheme, you will get a welcome letter advising you of the amount you are required to pay and when you must make your first payment. Keep in mind that it may be extremely costly to renew the decorations in your home and replace your household goods in the event of an emergency, but your home insurance will protect you and your belongings against these costs.

Under this scheme, unless you decide to buy an accidental damage option, there is no excess that you will be required to pay. However, the amount payable for certain items may be limited. For example, you may only receive up to £1,000 for equipment or up to £250 if you need to replace the external locks in your home if you lose your keys or realise they were stolen. However, most of your household contents and goods are covered, as well as freezer contents and your own liability to the general public. If you have made improvements to the home such as patio doors, fitted kitchens or bathrooms, it is also possible to insure these additions. You need to make sure that you are making each payment; failure to do so may result in a negative effect on your future claims and may lead to the cancellation of your policy.

For more information on the scheme, if you are interested in buying a policy, determining if a certain item is covered under this policy or if you need to make a claim, contact any housing and property office, your local service point or the Highland Council directly. Any of these locations will be able to answer all of your questions.


If you copy our site we'll f*****g smash you.